Sunday, September 30, 2007

Fitting In............Or Not! Part 3

Part 1

So in this vein of fitting in, I thought I'd add I've actually decided that it's really important that not everyone like me. There are people in this world I don't want to be like, nor do I want to be respected by them.Now that may sound strange, but if you think about it. There is nothing strange about it.

For example, I sure don't want to be like anyone involved with the Klu Klux Klan or any other hate organizations. I think those people breed everything that's wrong with the world. . So, that's one group to cross off my list.

Another would be offenders, any kind of offenders. Those that abuse children, woman, gays, animals, you name it. If they are into feeling good about themselves at the expense of others, I want nothing to do with them. I don't want to be like them in any way shape or form. So that's another group gone from the list.

How about those people who have tons of money and are so self absorbed that they are out of control? They think the world is theirs and they have no respect for anyone. Another group I don't need to be accepted by.

I'll bet if you think about it, you could find lots of people to add to this list as well. I know I could probably spend a lot of time defining more groups but the important thing is this. If those people approved of the way I live my life, I'd be really worried about me and be making some big changes.

With that being said, what in the heck are so many of us doing being worried about what other people will think? By the time you put the time into figuring out who those people are you don't want to be like, a good portion of the world's population will be on it. and yet it's so darn easy to get caught in the trap of trying to live our lives based on what other people think. To me, it just seems to be so contradictory.

Coming to this conclusion played a big part in me finally reaching the point that I quit worrying about those other people out there and what they might think of me. Since I had no way of knowing what their values might be, there was a really good chance that they were people I didn't care to impress anyway. I finally realized I was expending a great deal of energy on something I didn't have control of in the first place AND doing it to affect people I might not even like.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you here.

Forgive me for quoting David Letterman on such a well thought out post but... (LOL) The other night on DL a blogger turned author and actor said that in his everyday life people can tell him to lose weight, tell him he's a loser, whatever and it rolls off his back as if they never said it. But a perfect stranger can come to his blog and tell him he's worthless and needs to diet and the next thing ya know he's on a diet trying to make his life fit what a complete stranger says it should be. My point is, we often try to mold ourselves not for what we feel is the right mold for us but what others have shaped for us. It is the most uncomfortable feeling in the world to be squeezed and identified as someone you are not. I think we look to others for approval and get back instructions on how we should be. It's such a struggle to find a place we fit when we are told where we should or should not fit.

Austin

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Great post!

First Time Mommy said...

What a great post! I agree with you! I too have decided to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of me! It's tough to do though because when you are younger you try so hard to fit in (high school was like this for me). You want everyone to like you. But now that I'm nearing that 30 year mark I have realized life is just way too short to worry about such things. I wish I would have realized that back in my high school years!

Have a great day!

Erin

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Boy this sounds like my life once again LOL. I think I better start writing too, although you are far more eloquent that I am!!!

Lori

Unknown said...

I have to say that this post nearly brought me to tears.

I can't begin to express how much my immediate reaction is to worry about what people are thinking, or whether or not I've upset them.

It's something I'm completely aware of and working on. Thank you for sharing this.